Holland Community Forest- A Conservation Project in Partnership with the Town of Holland
Opacum is partnering with the Town of Holland on a project to acquire 170 acres of land in the center of town. If approved, this project will provide:
- 153 acres of town-owned open space for outdoor recreation including hiking trails, cross-country skiing, nature viewing, hunting, and fishing.
- Protection of Stevens Brook, the 2nd largest source of fresh water to Hamilton Reservoir.
- Nature-based education opportunities for Holland schools
- A sustainably managed forest that will provide additional revenue to the town.
- 17 acres of land adjacent to the Town Center for town use that can fulfill many needs such as senior housing, playing fields, a new library and more.
Opacum is fundraising to help the Town purchase this land and we have worked hard to secure other funding for this important project including a $202,383 Massachusetts LAND Grant and $50,000 in funding from the State.
To make this opportunity a reality, the Town of Holland needs to approve the purchase if this property at its Town Meeting on May 21st.
We Need Your Help!
- Tell your fellow town residents, friends and relatives about this project.
- Get them out to vote to approve this purchase on May 21st
Attend & tell others about the following public programs to see and learn more about this project:
- Saturday, April 27th, walk: Meet at Diane’s Villa Nova, 2 pm
- Sunday, May 5th, walk: Meet at Diane’s Villa Nova, 2 pm
- Wednesday, May 8th, presentation & walk: Holland Community Center 12:30 pm
- Sunday, May 18th, walk: Meet at Diane’s Villa Nova, 2 pm
Questions? Email or call Ed Hood at EHood@opacumlt.org, 508-347-9144